Tuesday 20 May 2008

Salt & Light

This was an event organized by the Kepong Baptist Church youths (and twenties of course). I was told that it was some small gathering organized by them. But as soon as I arrived there, I got a shock! It's not "small"! But I really like the fact that the whole event was centered around the theme of being the salt and light in the places that you were called to be at.
They started with a little skit, where this two siblings (seen in the picture below) were arguing about which radio station they should be listening to. The sister likes listening to Light FM while the brother likes listening to Salt FM which plays "noisier" songs. Then the brother decides to call the radio station and ask them to combine both the radio stations to become one. Hence, the Salt & Light FM.
The siblings arguing about the radio stations
Then they had a little ice breaker called the "Human Bingo", where you're supposed to go around asking people who fit the description written on the paper to sign. The first three wins a prize!
Sara was one of the first three
Then it was time for praise and worship. One thing that I noticed about the youths there, they are so passionate about their own youth groups, feeling a sense of pride and belonging in their groups. This got me to wonder about the youths in my church. Youths, where are you all? Where's that sense of belonging and pride that you feel about our youth group? Are the youth leaders really that incapable to lead the youth group? Or are we not interesting enough? Not relevant enough?
The youths jumping up and down during worship
Still jumping...
The "radio DJs" of the evening
Going for this event really got me thinking about all these questions. I know. I'm not that young either. But I am in the committee that is leading the youth group. Somehow I still feel that sense of responsibility about the youth group in my church. Maybe it's because I'm called to be one of the leaders of the youth group. But going for this event really opened my eyes to the potential that all the youths have if only they would come together and use the gifts that God has given them.
One of the things that they mentioned during the event was about the parable of the talents in Matthew 25:14-30. God has given each and everyone of us gifts and talents. And those who do not use the gifts and talents for the good of others are just being selfish. The consequence? Getting thrown out into the darkness. So I do pray that all of you out there use the gifts and talents that God has given you to serve in the places that you've been called to be. It is time for all of us to rise up and get out of our comfort zone to serve others. We cannot be serving ourselves any longer.

No comments: